Dolch sight words and comprehensive literacy:
Have you ever heard of Dolch sight words? If you haven’t then you don’t have to worry. This article is tied up with a brief overview and explanation of Dolch sight words. As it is a very rare term about which not everyone knows. Here we go;
Reading is one of the most important components of learning any language. If we are familiar with language vocabulary and pronunciation of words then anyone can read.
The high-frequency vocabulary words are known as Dolch sight words that make up to 50% – 70% of any general textual or educational source i.e. newspapers, textbooks, magazines, or any script. Any individual learning a new language should go through the sight words list at least once in the learning process. In short, reading fluency is achieved after learning these words. Greater knowledge of sight words leads to greater comprehension.
The level of advancing is set up by Edward William Dolch, a founder of Dolch sight words, which are in 220 numbers, to provide the learner ease in his journey. These levels are;
• Pre-primer – 40 words (can, three, big, up, run, away, go, play …)
• Primer – 52 words (pretty, please, came, was, must, into …)
• First Grade – 41 words (after, open, old, giving, walk, think …)
• Second Grade – 46 words (always, made, green, many, buy, found, …)
• Third Grade – 41 words (seven, better, eight, drink, grow, king, laugh, …)
These words contain the parts of speech. There is a separate list of 95 noun sight words.
• Nouns – 95 words (apple, leg, door, egg, father, mother …)
Who can learn Dolch sight words?
Everyone can learn Dolch sight words. But the common learners of these words are;
• School-going children: It is mentioned above that 50% – 70% of the content is based on the Dolch sight words. So, the textbooks in which the students' study is covered up by these words, and their fluency in reading any text increases. Most commonly, it is
• New learner of English language: As we all know that English is an international language that is used to communicate with each other. If there’s a person who is involved in such activities that require interaction internationally than he needs to learn the English language.
However, it is not bound to any person. The English Learning process includes these words.
Important study skill – Attention and Concentration
Furthermore, attention and concentration is the most important study skill without which learning process is incomplete.
The following are the basic plans you can follow to achieve the targeted goal.
• Develop a daily or weekly plan – Make a realistic plan. Don’t get too ambitious. Plan accordingly.
• Set realistic goals – Don’t set up a goal that you can’t achieve. For example, don’t say that I’ll study for 7 or 8 hours. It is not possible to study with attention and concentration. Instead of this, think that I’ll study for 2 hours in the evening.
• Use remainder list – Build up the academic planner. Mark up the upcoming events related to what you’re getting and academic works to keep yourself updated.
• Keep the track – Keep the track of whatever you’re doing to achieve the specific goal you’ve set for yourself. Don’t be directionless.
• Use academic resources – Relevant and academic research work from well- known and authentic resources helps in the learning process more than anything.
• Develop a sense of progress – Divide your progress journey into small chunks. Set an objective, find the ways to accomplish it in fun ways, and set up regular and relevant timings.
• Get out of the thoughts related to perfectionism – If you’ll think that you will get failed or you set up a tight goal of getting passed and you can’t achieve that much big then you can’t achieve your goals. Learn out of these limitations.
• Don’t isolate yourself in the study room – Keep yourself especially your mind fresh. Go for outings. Talk to your loved ones. Do whatever you can do to keep yourself fresh.
• Eat well – Don’t make yourself hunger.
• Get enough sleep – As we all know that the brain functions well when we get enough sleep. So, the same goes for study. If the student’s sleeping time is from 7 to 8 hours then it can enhance functionality.
• Pick the right time – Right time matters most.
• Be prepared for the tests and quizzes – An ideal student’s life is completed when he/she is fully prepared for all the tests.
• Check your environment – While studying, the environment should be to that extent where a learner can study well.
• Develop positivity – With positivity in mind, you’ll enjoy your study time.
• Use checkmark technique – This technique reminds you of the tasks you’ve done before. It is the type of planner. Well, the planner is better than this checkmark technique.
For learning purposes, spellquiz is the tool on which everyone can rely on. I said “everyone” because it is based on the grading system. This system wipes out all the tension from that mind i.e. which word group should I choose to learn first.