What’s the Difference Between Managed and Unmanaged VPS Hosting?
The Virtual Private Server or also known as VPS is a server space provided by web hosting companies. It is a dedicated device that can be used by a particular user only. In VPS hosting, the user gets the authority to add or eliminate anything as per the business needs. Also, the user is allowed to add or install several VPS or a single physical server with different operating systems. A VPS is made to provide the best of shared and dedicated hosting features combined. The firms sell best VPS hosting as a managed or unmanaged form.
When the website slowdowns, or if you wish to start a business that is very popular in the market and you know that it will yield a large number of visitors, the cheap windows VPS hosting is the right choice for you. Shared hosting can’t handle thousands of visitors on daily basis, and dedicated hosting is suitable for a large audience, so for such cases, VPS hosting can be used.
Watch this video to know about VPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mwAah9PoE4
Advantages of VPS hosting are :
1) Provides separate resources to all websites.
2) Provides separate server space virtually.
3) Can handle thousands of visitors on daily basis.
4) No downtime for websites
5) Protects the site’s data from viruses.
As per the requirements, some people choose managed VPS hosting and others may choose un-managed (self-managed VPS).
As the name says, in managed VPS hosting, the hosting provider looks after all your hosting account-related tasks. They take care of setting out an account, optimizing, and maintaining other tasks.
Whereas, in unmanaged VPS hosting, the hosting provider only sets up the account (not all providers do this), and the rest of the account needs to be handled by the account owner.
To use Managed VPS hosting :
- You don’t need technical skills.
- Server maintenance and up-gradation are done by the hosting provider.
- You don’t need to do any hassle work.
- The hosting provider offers 24/7 technical support.
To use Un-managed VPS hosting :
- You need to have technical skills.
- Maintenance is solely your responsibility.
- No technical support will be provided by the hosting provider.
So, if you already have a technical staff/team who can look after all hosting-related issues, then only you should opt for unmanaged VPS hosting. Or else, it is suggested to choose the managed option in order to enjoy all the services peacefully.
Let’s see other highlights of VPS hosting :
1) Customization –
Users get the authority to control the entire work environment using cheap Linux VPS hosting. The MilesWeb dashboard helps its users to keep a record of resource usage, and the condition of the website with detailed information.
2) Upgradation –
Anytime the user feels doubtful about the choice, then he is free to change or upgrade the plan as per the requirements. VPS gives its users the freedom to install any kind of software or application on it to run the website.
3) 1 click installer –
The 1 click installer provided by VPS hosting providers, allows you to install applications like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.
4) Security –
VPS hosting shelters the site’s data carefully under the virtual private server If hackers keep eye on your site’s file, important data, sign-in details, or even the admin panel, then VPS takes care by securing all this data. Most competitors keep a close eye on your data and try to harm your brand, which can ultimately hurt your reputation, so to secure from all these situations, VPS hosting is the best choice. MilesWeb’s VPS servers are scanned on daily basis, and even if any threat is found then they resolve it immediately. VPS prevents the site from hijackers as well.
5) Cost –
As VPS hosting provides so many advantages, you might think that it is very costly. But, with VPS hosting you are rest assured that it provides all these facilities at a really affordable price. It is advised that before buying any VPS hosting plan, always check the renewal price. Many hosting companies tend to hide it from their clients and offer cheap hosting for one year. So, it is better to check the renewal price and compare it with two or three hosting providers. Or else, just get in touch with the MilesWeb team and they help you to select the hosting that best suits your requirements.
6) Downtime –
Any website cannot bear a downtime issue. Especially, an online business that also has an online transaction option, it is a no for downtime problem. MilesWeb provides you 99.95% uptime that ensures that your website is always present on the internet, whenever visitors need it.
MilesWeb provides cheap VPS hosting plans that are powered by the KVM hypervisor. They are available in various sizes and incorporate multiple technical components based on cloud infrastructure.
In VPS hosting you get the choice to select an operating system from :
Also, the choice of the control panel is given to a user.
All the Linux VPS server from MilesWeb includes and supports :
- Full root SSH access
- PHP / Perl / Python
- rDNS / PTR records
- Django / FFMpeg / Ruby on Rails
- SSD storage
- Host unlimited domains
- Crontab access
- JSP / Tomcat / Java / Node.js
- MySQL / MongoDB / MariaDB
- Ruby Version Manager
- Hosting of unlimited email accounts
- Access to raw log files
- XCache / Varnish
- Subversion Repository (SVN)
- Hosting of unlimited sub-domains
The managed VPS comes with :
- Complete VPS setup
- Installation and configuration of the control panel
- Database optimization
- CMS and Web application installation
- Installation and configuration of CSF firewall
- Optimizing web server and fine-tuning
- Network fine-tuning
- Kernel patch updates
- Protection from virus and malware
- Database and website security
- Spam protection
- Malware removal
- rDNS setup
- Fixing of hardware and network related issues
- VPS migration
- Installing and updating of security patches.
- Unlimited technical support through tickets and emails.
The setup is done for free and instant provisioning is provided as soon as the payment is done. Under one VPS hosting, you can host unlimited websites. All the sites are stored in 100% SSD storage space that accelerates the site’s performance with its flash technology.
The robust infrastructure is built in collaboration with all the leading players like Dell, Cisco, HP, and Supermicro. Their cutting edge servers provide the best uptime and stability.
Many people tend to buy unmanaged VPS hosting over managed one. This is because that is a little cheap option. But, as compared managed VPS is always a profitable trade. Let’s see what services you get with managed VPS hosting :
1) Complete assistance for migration of website or eCommerce site or an application.
2) The technical team continuously manages VPS hosting accounts to provide the best uptime, security, and network.
3) Always updates OS as soon as it is released. Keep the OS secure.
4) Keeps you free from the management of a complicated hosting environment, so that you can focus on your primary business.
5) The actual technical assistant team takes care of your queries.
6) Assisting you with 24/7 support and monitoring.
How VPS hosting saves your online business?
In online business daily new trends come into the market. To cope with them you need to upgrade or downgrade the plan that supports the website. VPS hosting does the same, to keep you up in the competition.
Wrapping Up :
VPS hosting always keeps the website’s data secure and provides it as many resources as required. It is not as costly as dedicated, or cloud hosting services, still allows you to enjoy their benefits. VPS hosting is suitable for medium-sized businesses or sites that get thousands of visitors on a daily basis.